Thursday, April 9, 2009

Writing Prompts

One of the things I've learned about writing is that practice really really does help you improve....seriously, it works. For years now I've been doing morning pages as suggested in Julia Cameron's book, The Artist's Way.

So I thought it might be fun to give whomever might read this some prompts. Easy directions, pick one of the sentence starters or ideas below and write for ten to twenty minutes without editing, stopping, rereading, or saying this is crap. It is not only good practice as a writer, but a great discipline! Here you go.

1) I didn't think it could happen to me, but...
2) The other day I overhead him say ....
3) If you look around you'll see ...
4) I'll believe in miracles when ...
5) The annual meeting began and ...
6) I stood there staring ...
7) guest bench date fertilize sorry (use in a 10-20 minute write)
8) What I see when I look in your eyes is ....
9) What I remember most ...
10) If you were here, I'd tell you that...

Have fun! If you want to post them here, I'd love to read!
~the prompt queen

4 comments:

  1. Terrific idea. I think I'll try one of the prompts after dinner tonight...maybe number 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how I love these prompts... they light my fire! Thanks--

    When I put ole' Buddy boy to bed tonight I may have a go at one or two! H

    ReplyDelete
  3. JMK~ I love writing prompts. I love having some to choose from--a) then I have no excuse that I won't do my morning pages, 2) I get excited about writing, and 3) it helps me focus on 'writing'--not complaining, not that that isn't useful sometimes, but a prompt makes me think! I'm interested to see how you did with #6. If you want to publish it here, let me know and I'll create the space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mum4Justice---I hope you enjoy these prompts! I've seen your writing and it is wonderful--what always amazes me is that the more I write, the better I think I get...at least I'd like to think so! Prompts are a great way to light your fire. Have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete