Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Writing prompts are everywhere

This morning I got out of bed and did my usual routine of feeding Jake and then getting to the task at hand --

reading the newspaper and writing my morning pages.

I decided that before I poisoned my mind with the news of the day, I'd write my 1000 words. I felt sleepy and wanted to throw an afghan over my legs to warm myself right back to sleep. Instead, I lit a candle and turned the TV to Soundscapes...

soft, full, flute notes floated through me, (peppered with sleeping Golden Retriever Jake's, occasional snore).

And I couldn't think of one thing to write about. Nothing. I looked up at the TV screen hoping for inspiration--and I got it. The instrumental playing was titled something like Desert Peace. I don't exactly remember right now what it was, but it was so simple to take my writing from there. Try it -- write about the desert (or desserts!), peace or a combination of both. If that doesn't work try using these five words in a story:

desert peace blustery ink Kleenex.

Writing prompts are everywhere, we just have to keep our eyes open to find them!

Happy morning pages~

4 comments:

  1. that seems the secret to me.. just being open for inspiration..

    not pushing/forcing; but welcoming/honoring.

    this post is great testimony.

    love, ~s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Sandra. I agree open for inspiration...Ms Blog Queen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun your prompt is...I wish I had time to use it. Your five-word combination makes me want to start it right now but alas, I have to edit "Hada", critique a member of my writing group, and homework for an online writing class (by Jessica Inclan on the Yosemite Romance Writers' website list of classes). But I'll save it for another time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JMK, the lovely part of blogging is that the viewer can always come back and do it! It sounds like you're one busy lady. I just started an online class with April Kihlstrom www.aprilkihlstrom.com, book in a week! I actually think she might be getting me organized!

    ReplyDelete