Thursday, June 11, 2009

Prompts


These days, I have a love hate relationship with writing prompts. Sometimes, I get so involved in a story, I don't want to stop. I write, I write, I write. I read it back and I think, this should really go in the trash or this should be on the back page of the New Yorker!

And then there are those days that I hop scotch from one prompt to another, totally unable to focus, unable to find direction down any rabbit hole to create something.

I talked with a friend of mine in San Diego yesterday. After I finished telling her my story she said, "I'm so glad you told me that, you make me feel normal."

So ... do you run into the same thing? Some days you're the next Jodi Picoult or Danielle Steele? Others, you've got the attention of a preschooler, but nearly the skill?

Here's a few prompts....

I almost forgot to tell you ...
I could see a shadow lurking outside the bedroom window and I...
When I turned sixteen I...
Life would be so much simpler if I could ...
They announced the name of the winner and I ...

Use these words in a 20 minute write:

physical, dictionary, action, east, collage
gab, despot, classic, prevent, burgers
include, teller, calendar, reinforce
gill, crouch, arrest, league, internal

No comments:

Post a Comment