Monday, May 18, 2009

Book In a Week Conclusion

I finished my class, Book in a Week last week. The class was amazing.

I set an unrealistic goal of reaching 50,000 words, but life happens and there were a couple of things that I didn't want to give up like spending time with my grand children, taking them to yoga class, going to my own yoga class--those sorts of important things. Speaking of yoga, by the end of the writing week, my left arm felt the pinch of too much computer work and too few breaks. My yoga teacher, Mary Smith, at the Danville Yoga Center worked with me during class, and when I left, and for the first time in a week, I was pain free. Pain free! Yoga is amazing.

Okay, back to the class. I wrote a total of 26,000+ words--a little more than half my goal. I felt I let myself down, but 26,000 words was more than I most probably would have done if I hadn't taken the class.

Here's what I learned about myself as a writer:

~I love to procrastinate. However, if I completed my day's work knowing where I planned on beginning the next day, I found my way to the page much quicker. Otherwise it was to Starbucks for coffee, a load of laundry, a telephone call, answering emails, you know what I mean?

~Once I start writing, I don't like to stop, hence the sore arm. So, I needed to have a stern talk with my stubborn self.

~The best laid plans as they say--I had my plot figured out and by golly my characters wanted little, if anything to do with it.

~When I get out of my own way, my work is much more successful.

~A collage of pictures for the characters in my book was incredibly helpful. When I could see faces, I slipped into their heads easily.

~I am my own worst enemy! I suppose most of us are.

~Pay attention to synchronicity events--it led me where I needed to go!

The class and support from the group, not to mention April, was just as good as having your own personal coach giving a gentle nudge when needed!

April will be holding another class in early June. Here's how to contact her:
aprilkihlstrom@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    I love what you said, "I had my plot figured out and by golly my characters wanted little, if anything to do with it."

    Very funny but I know what you mean. It's happened to me too in the past.

    Wow, a goal of 50,000 words in a week is over the edge! I've done NaNoWriMo for three years and made it to 50,000 wordsin a month, but I could never make that many words in a week. So congratulate yourself for the 26,000 +. That is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JMK! I've not done NaNoWriMo yet, maybe this will be the year. Before I took Book in a Week class, the thought of pumping out 50,000 in a month seemed impossible--now, however, it feels so much less daunting!

    ReplyDelete